Friday, August 29, 2008

Friday

We used to go driving back then. We would just drive for what seemed like hours in the country side. It seemed as if it were only an autumn ritual. The leaves were all different shades of orange and red. And we’d speed down the middle of the road, kicking up leaves as we went along. The sky always seemed to be some shade of grey, just on the verge of raining.

Henry would always drive, he had the best car out of all of us and we’d each take turns sitting in the front seat. He’d put the top down and the chilly autumn wind would be blowing all around us and it seemed as if the only thing you could hear was the radio playing in the background. The car would climb up the hills along the old dirt roads and in these moments I would stick my head out, right when the wind was the strongest. My hair would blow and I’d squint my eyes and I’d hear you guys in the back seat laughing over the rush of wind.

I can’t even remember us not being happy.

No comments: