Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Wednesday

We’re at a bowling alley and its cold outside. I can see the frost on the glass doors and everyone is dressed in coats and sweaters. We aren’t sitting next to the lanes but at one of those tables behind them. I’m surprised to see you sitting next to me since we aren’t very good friends.

It’s like I’m not thinking, as if I have woken up in the middle of the night and I can’t process what’s going on. You grab my hand and even though I’m surprised, I’m really happy. We are holding hands underneath the table now.

“I thought you hated me?”

Your friends walk by and I can’t see their faces. They're laughing and you wave to them with your other hand and you’re smiling. You’re talking to them and I can see your mouth moving but I can’t hear anything at all. It’s like I’m sitting on the bottom of the swimming pool. All I can hear is a distant, steady buzz.

“Why won’t you talk to me?!”

Still you won’t answer me let alone look at me and all at once I’m confused and angry and I’m not sure what I should do, but you’re still holding my hand under the table and I won’t let go.

No comments: